Corangamite Catchment Management Authority

The Corangamite CMA region in south-west Victoria is home to about 370,000 people. Its landscape is geographically diverse with spectacular coasts, vast volcanic plains and the soaring old growth forests of the Otways. The catchment is 13,340 square kilometres, stretching from Ballarat to Geelong and along the coast to Peterborough in the west. Its landscape supports strong agriculture and forestry sectors, with 78 per cent of the land privately owned, the remaining 22 per cent publicly owned. It contains lakes and wetlands of national and international significance. Four river basins define the region:

  • Moorabool
  • Barwon
  • Lake Corangamite
  • Otway Coast.

Nine municipalities are part of Corangamite – the cities of Geelong and Ballarat, the Borough of Queenscliffe and the shires of Colac Otway, Surf Coast, Golden Plains, Corangamite, Moorabool and Moyne.